Designed in 1817 by the first governor of the Alabama Territory (William Wyatt Bibb), the great seal of Alabama displays the major rivers of the state. The seal design is a map of the Alabama and surrounding territories (now states). When Alabama became a state in 1819, this seal became the official state seal and remained unchanged for over 50 years.
In 1868 (after the Civil War) a new seal was created with an eagle standing on the American shield holding a banner in its beak reading Here We Rest. This seal design was used on official documents and letterheads from 1868 - 1939. In 1939 a bill was approved by the Alabama Legislature and Governor Frank M. Dixon to restore the original seal.