Flag of Indiana
The blue and gold state flag of Indiana was adopted by the 1917 General Assembly as part of the 1916 Indiana centennial celebration. The original legislation described the flag as the state "banner" (the name was changed to "flag" by the 1955 General Assembly).
The winning design (by Paul Hadley of Mooresville, Indiana) was selected during a competition sponsored by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
The torch is a symbol for liberty and enlightenment; the rays represent their far-reaching influence. Thirteen stars in the outer circle symbolize the original thirteen states; the inner semi-circle of five stars represents the next five states to join the Union; and the large star above the torch is a symbol of Indiana (in 1816 Indiana became the 19th state).